The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Saturday 12 April 2014

Little Welsh House Quilt

I can't quite believe it, but it nearly three years since I showed you the beginnings of this little quilt.  On the 23rd July 2011 to be exact and for those of you who either can't remember or who have starting reading since, here is the link.

I have always found that some quilts are easy and some are a struggle and this one has definitely been the latter, but here it is at last -



Why has it taken so long?  Well I broke off several times to do other things and lost the initial focus.  Initially I thought that instead of doing a planned quilting outline, I would quilt within each patch.  However, this didn't work and most of the time I was improvising continuously.  Nothing wrong with some improvising, as that is following Welsh quilting tradition, but a basic outlining of areas is needed as a guide.  Once you have marked out these areas you can then improvise within these borders.

I am certainly not going into free fall like this again as I thought I would never finish it!



11 comments:

claggle said...

Beautiful and charming. Love the colours and your stitching.

Hester said...

I love it

Mad about Craft said...

I think 'free fall' was worth it, it is beautiful.

Robin said...

The quilting is fascinating and wonderful. Now that it's over you can just sit back and admire it.

NADINE said...

What a treasure ! LOVE that quilt. You really did a wonderful job. No matter how long it takes, only the result matters. I'd love experience such a "free fall" ... With such result :))

XOXOXO
NADINE

Jwardeast@gmail.com said...

Really beautiful!

susanhal said...

Wow ! that is awesome quilting. I am enormously impressed. Did you use a hoop ?
It's really lovely. My favourite bits are the little red house, so cute and perfectly done - they are hard to get just right I am finding ! - and I absolutely adore the swirly bits on that dark border.
All very strokeable.

Radka said...

It is so pretty, and quilting beautiful!
x

Rose said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Well worth persevering.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Hi Susan! No I didn't use a hoop. As I only usually do small quilts I just quilt in my hand. I also quilt on both sides, usually outlining on the right side of the work and filling in on the reverse.

Unknown said...

Dear Mary, what a lovely quilt. I've only recently discovered Welsh quilts so I think I will get your book as soon as I can or see if the textile library has it. Love your blog and thanks for sharing!
Jodie