The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 22 June 2012

House appreciation in South Somerset

I spent last weekend in South Somerset staying with a friend in her delightful little house.  It is a beautiful area with pretty towns and villages built of the local Ham stone, so there was plenty of house admiration going on. Three of us, all mad about houses, cruising around the area looking for the perfect specimen in a suitable setting!

How about this one?

Tintinhull House

Perhaps a little ambitious - think of the upkeep!  Of course it does belong to the National Trust, however, it is one of their holiday lets, so just follow the link and it can be yours for the asking!

This is the garden -


The one above is the Pool Garden and ( I am kidding myself here) in some ways it reminds me of my own garden. Well it does have similarities - a long pool with iris and lilies set within a lawn - but really I am delusional!  The scale here is grand and the herbaceous border magnificent.  Well worth a visit, particularly at this time of year.

Here are a few more images of perhaps more modest proportions - we had a drink in the pub!


I love the colour of Ham stone.  It's a deeper gold than Cotswold and instead of stone roofs the houses have slate or tiles.  Lovely unspoilt area - not nearly as busy or as expensive as the Cotswolds.

3 comments:

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What lovely homes and gardens. They look like something out of a storybook! I would love to visit England someday!

Andrea said...

Just beautiful! The Tintinhull House reminds me a lot on some of the manors we have here in Schleswig-Holstein/Northern Germany, they look similar. I'm sure you had a wonderful time in South Somerset.

amanda white said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for that. Absolutely idyllic.
Reminds me why I am so keen (for keen read increasingly desperate!) to get back to the UK...
xx