The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 24 September 2010

The Prince of Wales, Garden Director?

This is the second post about HRH and you may be forgiven for thinking that I am a fan. This certainly hasn't always been the case but I have mellowed recently.  Maybe the fact that he likes and collects Welsh Quilts has something to do with it?   It is simply that yesterday evening there was a magical programme on BBC television.  This is a rare enough occurrence which must be celebrated, especially as one of my great interests is visiting gardens and a visit to Highgrove with the Prince and Alan Titchmarsh is too good to miss.  Like HRH, who has 12 gardeners working there, I am also a garden director because I have to keep my hands in good shape for my real work - no engrained hands for fine quilting!


What a garden Highgrove is - I had the good fortune to visit it with a group of sampler lovers a few years ago and we were bowled over by it.  My favourite garden in all the world is Sissinghurst in Kent, but Highgrove is almost its equal.

This programme can only be seen on BBC iplayer for a short while and I urge all you garden lovers out there who didn't see it to tune in.   It is available for the next 6 days - here is the link - 

The only omission was a glimpe of the Prince's Islamic Garden, based on one of his rugs, which was entered in the Chelsea Flower Show in 2001 and afterwards recreated at Highgrove.  On television then I thought that it looked rather garish,  but it is sensational - we all loved it!  It came at the end of tour and because it was enclosed within walls there was an element of surprise, it was like opening a door and walking to into a large and wondrous jewel box!


3 comments:

Meredith said...

I found your blog a few days ago and just wanted to to say welcome to the blog community. Your blog is such a great addition. I love the quilts you have shared so far. I visited in May this year in the UK for a few weeks and it was lovely.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Thank you Meredith. I hope you will continue to visit my blog, I'm enjoying writing it enormously!

Bertie said...

Great blog!!(Needleprint) guided us to your site and look forward to many more wonderful quilts and stories.